Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wii Fit, a Lesson in Pain

I *heart* Nintendo, I really do. I've never been a "real" gamer (i.e. I'm not talented at blowing up things and I have a phenomenally short attention span) so maybe that's why they appeal to me over Xbox or Playstation. Needless to say I'm probably the type of person they had in mind when they designed the Wii. So I was curious when I first heard the rumblings about Wii Fit. I wasn't sure how they would integrate fitness/healthy lifestyle into gaming as normally those two do not go hand in hand. But so far... I think it works.

Husband desperately wanted it so I was put on the task of tracking it down. I drove to Best Buy yesterday morning. It was 10:30 and they were already sold out (They open at 10 for crying out loud). Needless to say it didn't help my feelings of malcontent I have with that company. I called Target. Sold out. Finally I called a Wal-Mart (I know) that is slightly out of the major Tulsa area and *gasp* they still had it in stock. So I made my purchase and came home. (Hour and a half later)

  • My first praise goes to the fact that most of the activities are just plain fun. Hula Hooping and Tight Rope Walking? Fantastic!
  • My second praise goes to the fact that they have a good solid selection of yoga poses and tips on what exercises to combine to be most beneficial.
  • Thirdly I love the personal trainers. They are encouraging and funny when you slack off (or quit mid-rep in my case).
  • Lastly I love the fact that I feel just as sore and worn out from doing 30 minutes of this versus driving to the gym, staring at a bunch of sweaty people and touching a bunch of germy equipment.

Wii Fit is big on balancing and posture (I suppose now I realize though that those go hand in hand). They have a whole section of just balancing activities (which I suck at btw) I like that a lot of the commentary during the yoga exercises centers around stretching your spine. All in all though I can tell a difference in my posture already. It really shocks me quite honestly.

I wasn't sure I'd like this to be honest but now I'm kinda addicted. And for a lazy, uncoordinated, self-confessed couch potato to love it... well you know that's gotta be saying something.

1 comment:

Turner said...

I was wonderring what your review of it would be. I'm very happy with our Wii and Mario Kart - I just wish I had more time to play it.

Also, it's always good to see you up and about, getting a sweat on and feeling good! Keep it up!