Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring fever...

I have spring fever. 
I have it hard core.
Anytime that the sun is out all I want to do is go sit outside. 
I can't get enough of it. 
I think if I could physically hug spring I would.

This past weekend was very "hippie-tastic" for Husband and myself. 
We went to a healthy-living expo. While fascinating it was also a little uncomfortable. I love alternative medicine but seriously? Some of the people there were a little too out-there for my taste. I am so not a hippie. 

After that we attended "EcoFest". I was a little disappointed honestly. There wasn't as much info as I thought there might be. Although to be fair maybe the vendors were a bit burned out by the time we got there. I'm not sure. 
(What can I say... Tulsa has a looong way to go when it comes to environmentalism!)

Sunday was the best. We attended a Compost Bin sale & lecture provided by The M.e.t.  A lot was learned (by me at the very least) and we scored a pretty nifty deal on another compost bin. 
I'm so excited. 
The problem I had was fear. Fear of doing it wrong. 
(Yes I realize that it is really hard to screw up compost... now) 
So let me introduce you to the family.
 Big Bertha (left) & Tiny Tim (right)
We received B.B. a while back as a Christmas gift. She's wonderful but there's a small problem with her. When she's full... I can't move the damn thing. Her design was intimidating. So I procrastinated on composting.
T.T. is the one we received on Sunday. The beauty of him is that when B.B. is full and cooking I can continue to throw things in him. There's a nifty door that slides up and thus allows you to remove the ready compost while the rest cooks on top. Pretty sweet.
Here is Big Bertha all full and ready to be sealed up and left to her business. In theory we still have to roll her and add water but she can be Husband's project.
Tiny Tim shall be my baby. (There was much satisfaction to be had from shedding and throwing his box in to be compost!) 
He's a work in progress. I'm a work in progress.
I look forward to seeing how all this plays out. 
It'll be an interesting journey.

Oh and I totally want to do worm composting now. 
It's ridiculously neat... and gross.
Maybe one day. 

2 comments:

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

I know you are not a hippie, but you are still 'tastic!! ;-)

I already had some things to say about this elsewhere, but I wanted to say "hi" here, too, since Li was kind enough to post the link for me! :)

Stay 'tastic.
Karin

Lauri L said...

Hehe - Compost Bin sale & lecture! :-) I am so NOT a hippie. Heck, I'm not even green. (Don't hate me, please.) I'm all about convenience. I know - bad attitude.

I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend! I did, too. Did you see the picture of me, Martha, Michelle, and Sylvi having brunch on Sunday?!

P.S. I can't leave a message here just using my name??? I used to be able to do that. I have an unused Google account that I can choose as an Identity, but...