Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cat Ownership...

(This obviously is a post I started a while back, 2ish months ago to be more precise)
(At least I'm getting to it... right?)
(Anyway)

Last week was my birthday. 
I'm now 28. 
Does that mean I'm an adult now?
I sure hope not because I still fail to feel like one.
Oh well there's always next year...

So you're probably saying to yourself... "Gee Karen that's great and all but where have you been? What fascinating things have you been up to? Have you run away to live on a hippie commune yet?" To which I reply, "The more things change the more things stay the same." Which more or less means no I haven't run away to a hippie commune.

I am now a cat owner. You read that right. As of June 23 I own a cat.
(Well I guess technically "we" own a cat)
This cat to be specific. 
His name is officially Uncle Andy but that's not what he always gets called... For the first days I'm pretty sure he thought his name was "No". It's a very long story (not really) in which I called Husband at work, cried a lot, and saved this cat from a very early and unwarranted death. 
(That's not to say I haven't told the dogs to eat him when he won't stop screaming at 3am...) 
(However, he always manages to redeem himself right before I decide that he will in fact be living outside)
The dogs are terrified of him.
 (Don't be fooled, they will lick you to death)
My big, scary dogs are terrified of a cat that weighs less than they do and is front declawed.
It's all very tragic really. 
I've found cat ownership after a 10 year hiatus is far more difficult then I remembered....

So now that we're verging on 3 months of cat ownership let's update shall we?

The dogs are still terrified.
Despite all the hissing, spitting, growling & swatting... I think Andy secretly loves the dogs. I can't figure why else he would stare out the sliding-glass door and cry when they are outside.
That's not to say I don't still tell the dogs to eat him when he's being difficult (i.e. being a cat).

However, since becoming a stay-at-home wife Andy and I have developed a new bond.

I'm beginning to think I might actually like him.
Our relationship is very similar to the relationship I have with Husband. (Disturbing I know but let me 'splain)
When I'm home and he can choose to ignore me he's happy. He's also extremely happy when he can lay across my hands while I try to type on the laptop. When I try to do something, like clean, he follows me around screaming his head off and generally be annoying.
I'm sure this is pretty similar to how I act when Husband tries to get anything done. (And no, I don't scream my head off or lay across the laptop per se) I constantly ask him questions or ask the oh-so-not annoying, "Whatcha doing?" or the even more popular "try to proposition him to do something else like watch a movie or get coffee" maneuver. (And yes I still bitch that nothing gets done around the house... it's not my fault he can't resist my feminine charm, or whining)

Anyway, upon realizing this I have a new fondness for the cat.
(when I'm not busy trying to get the dogs to eat him).
I guess maybe we were meant for each other, at least he likes to think so. 
Besides how can you resist all this sexy?

1 comment:

Karin B (Looking for Ballast) said...

What a FUN post, Karen! Congrats on the cat, I think, lol. I'm giggling out loud at that last photo. :D It's so good to read a piece of your writing again. Hope Uncle Andy continues to settle into running the house, lol. Thanks for finishing this! :)