Sunday, October 28, 2007

Kermit was wrong...

It is easy being green.

A few days ago a fellow co-worker at the bank asked me point blank if I was a hippie. I stopped for a second and asked him what he meant. Seeing as how this co-worker knew nothing about me I was wondering where the question was even coming from. Turns out a friend of his who had just come through the bank was a "hippie" because she shopped at Wild Oats. I informed him that if he considered that to be a hippie then yes I was a hippie.

It wasn't even so much a question but rather than an accusation. Like somehow shopping there made me strange. Not like it really bothered me though. I'm used to it by now. Several months ago I felt a strong pull towards this lifestyle I guess you could call it. Maybe it was the movie An Inconvenient Truth or maybe it was Husbands mini-health crisis. I'm not entirely sure. Whatever it is... I enjoy it.

I've been afraid that "being green" as some people like calling it was going to become fashionable and like all fashionable things (think furbies and tie-dye) it would later be forgotten. I'd like to think now though that it is becoming something more... something permanent. You can go into any major store and see "green products". Home Depot is one of the most noticeable, it seems every section now contains a more eco-friendly option along with the standard ones. Target has even started selling Seventh Generation cleaning products and organic sheet sets. Everywhere you look corporations are seeming to be more willing to embrace this eco-friendly life-style. While I'm not wild about corporations taking advantage of this movement I'm glad that they are making it more accessible to the general populace.

Husband and I are trying to do our small part.
  • We're gradually replacing our light-bulbs with the new energy star bulbs.
  • We recycle. It costs just a few dollars every month to have the city pick up twice monthly.
  • We take our own reusable grocery bags to the store with us.
  • We shop our local co-op.
  • We had our own organic veggie garden this year.
  • We're phasing out our normal cleaning products for more eco-friendly/natural solutions. (It's nice not to gag when cleaning the shower)
It's not like going "green" has to be hard or difficult. It doesn't have to/need to be a "hippie" thing anymore. I want to be able to bring children (if I so choose) into a world that is environmentally save. I know I personally feel healthier since beginning the transition to a more "green" lifestyle. I think it's the small changes that are going to make the biggest impact. If everyone just did their small part that would make a world of difference. I know I'm trying to lead by example... hopefully it works.

I'm sorry to say Kermit... it is easy being green.

(For an even greater insight on this matter visit this blog.)

2 comments:

LD said...

i recycle and use compact fluorescents!

Fictionista said...

Didja ever get a great blog idea, only to find someone has done it, and done it better?

Yeah. Was totally gonna Green Checklist blog. But you know, tying it with Kermit? That's pure genius.