Saturday, December 1, 2007

" If you want to have friends, you must be friendly. If you want to make peace, you must be peaceful. " - Peace Pilgrim

I've been out of it. Both in the virtual and real world sense. It's already December and I can't seem to wrap my mind around that fact. I just feel like lately time has been slipping through my fingers. Thinking back to the beginning of Fall seems like a lifetime ago.

I'm not ready for Christmas. I'm not ready to even contemplate thinking about Christmas. I'm usually the one who demands to know by November 1st what you want for Christmas so I can be done with my shopping by Thanksgiving. I haven't thought about it at all. I smell a last minute scrabble for gifts at this point... Back to my original point though...

Today while I was in the shower I started musing aloud about what I might want when I said something that must have been buried in my subconscious. (yes I do a lot of talking to myself in the shower, shush!) It was something along the lines of, "if you really want to make me happy for Christmas... donate to charity, give a homeless animal a home, do something for the greater good." Sure there are things I would like to have, a lot of things... But a small part of me wonders if I wouldn't save it if my house caught fire do I really need it? Husband and I have a lot of stuff, a lot of stuff that I obsessively wanted at the time but I possibly haven't looked at in years. I feel uneasy about that. Now that I say this my family will finally get around to reading my blogs and I will be left with nothing for Christmas.... I don't know though. I've just been a weird mood lately.


The vet clinic I work for also works in conjunction with a local rescue group. Since I've been there we have had several rescue dogs/cats come through and be adopted out, except one. Tallulah, pictured above, is a super sweet dog who was just a bit misunderstood. I was afraid that her time was running out so I started harassing everyone I knew about her. One night during a casual conversation with my youngest brother-in-law he showed interest. One thing led to another and yesterday he adopted her. Right now she's staying with us until he can get moved but it's going pretty well. I knew despite the fact that she seemed like an insane crack dog up at the vet she would be a wonderful lap dog in the right home. It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover. And despite what you might be saying... I'm fully aware that I have too many dogs as is and instead of adopting them myself I will just bug everyone else I know.

Reflecting back... November was a stressful month to say the very least. I feel so emotionally drained by all that did/didn't happened. I know I'm being cryptic but it would take far too long to explain and you would all be bored by it anyway. I worked myself into a frenzy and it seems like for no good reason. I didn't gain anything from it... I just lost time and an ability to do stuff I really wanted/needed to do. Laundry is overflowing, recycling needs to be separated, floors need to be swept, computer stuff needs to be organized, dogs bathed... it never ends. Maybe it will work itself out this month... I can always hope.

And that's that for now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a lot for my tiny brain to process so early this morning, LOL!

1.) I am notorious for being late with everything having to do with Christmas. This is the only thing in my life that happens this way. Otherwise, I am organized, prompt, and prepared. Hmmm, what does that say about me?

2.) I have TONS of respect for your work on behalf of the animals. I like animals more than (most) people. I'm so glad your brother-in-law adopted Tallulah. I hope they have many happy years together!

3.) I've been in my own little cocoon lately. Perhaps it is due to the winter time (dark dark dark) and the weather? I am really missing my California friends, and I know that contributes to it, too.

HUGS to you!

LD said...

yeah - I plan to do a lot of giving this christmas. I'm also going to buy stuff that I probably don't need as well, but I'm also going to do what I should have been doing for the past 10 years and give away all the crap that I don't need/use anymore that others might find useful. Including my car, my old clothes, and my old computers.

Suz said...

Everyone wants material things. It's human nature. Don't sweat it. A lot of people do give to charity. I think you just have to find a balance and as you get older you will find there are a lot of other things more interesting than dust and quit worrying about it so much. Look at the ice storm. It is something that made us all take pause. Good excuse for not doing a lot at Christmas. I went to Kohls and went through once and got one thing for each familly memeber. Didn't even spend a lot.

Tallulah is adorable. It looks like she is holding on to his knee.