Monday, June 16, 2008

Welcome to Greensburg...

I've been watching the new Planet Green fairly often since it's premiere. Some of their programming is great (Renovation Nation, Wasted, Living with Ed...) and some are questionable (Hollywood Green, Supper Club, etc...) and then there's Greensburg. I was sobbing the entire first 18ish minutes of the premiere episode. If you don't know the backstory of what happened in Greensburg, Kansas let me insert a little Wikipedia knowledge here for you:

"At 9:45 p.m. on May 4th 2007, Greensburg was hit by an EF5 tornado. The tornado was estimated to be 1.7 miles in width and traveled for nearly 22 miles. Ninety-five percent of the city was confirmed to be destroyed, with the other five percent being severely damaged. The National Weather Service estimated winds of the tornado to reach 205 mph. This was the first tornado to ever be rated EF5 since the update of the Fujita scale.

After the tornado, the city council passed a resolution stating that all city building would be built to LEED - platinum standards, making it the first city in the nation to do so. Greensburg is rebuilding as a "green" town, with the help of the non-profit organization created to help the residents learn about and implement the green living initiative."

I realize I've been lucky in my life. I've lived in "Tornado Alley" my entire life and *knock on wood* have yet to live through a direct tornado hit. I can only hope I'll stay that lucky.

I'm fascinated by this show. To see how hope and innovation can come from despair. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out in the end.

No comments: