Tuesday, October 16, 2007

End of an era


It was announced today. The thing myself and many others knew was coming. Yahoo!360 is more or less shutting down. You can read the crap they posted about it here. I know a lot of us former 360 users have already gone "indie" but I can't help but feel like I've lost an old friend with his announcement. 360 is where I met and was befriended by so many wonderful people. It feels like the end of era. I began blogging back in the summer of '05 when Husband was deployed overseas. Looking back I never thought my simple way of staying in touch with him would lead me where I am today. It's been fabulous though. I can only hope now that I won't loose these wonderful people just because yahoo couldn't be bothered to work on the best idea they ever had.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind that I am reposting what I wrote on Daisy's blog.

I have met a lot of really wonderful people (present company included) here on 360. I hope we all have the energy and desire to keep in touch. I suppose I kinda "checked out" of 360 a while ago, for several reasons... but I have visited often to read about what my friends are doing and thinking. It really is too bad that Yahoo didn't want to invest in a product like this which, as Daisy said, "had something that the other networking sites didn't." Au Revoir 360.

ChandraJoy said...

I will be keeping up with your new blog, but that is kind of a given. I like knowing what is going on with you two! I hope all your 360 friends keep in touch through other means.

Oh, and the not recognizing thing...I've been there, don't feel bad.

Turner said...

The only real reason why I even signed up for 360 was to keep tabs on you, so I'm not mourning it's soon-to-be passing as much. I will say that it WAS a nice blog-client and I appreciated the lack of advertising bullshit on it.

But, I think blogspot provides just as much fun, options and un-marketed freedom, so I think we'll all manage. It sucks that Yahoo has to keep changing the way it does things... but I guess that'sjust the nature of the beast.

LD said...

I'm working on a 360 diaspora blog feed. In fact It's why I came here just now - to grab your rss.

Hey - can you turn off the word verification if you're gonna have comment moderation on?