Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Oh the embarassment...

The other night Husband and I are attempting to do some mall-walking after a dinner full of El Chico fajitas.

This girl smiles at me, I smile back thinking "gee, she looks familiar..."
After we pass by I hear a... "Karen...?"
I turn around and this mystery girl starts talking about how she always sees my mom and asks how I'm doing, etc....
I attempt to introduce her to Husband when I fail to tell him her name she offers it up instead.
She says her name is Katrina.
A vague light bulb goes off in my head but I still have no earthly idea who she is...
We exchange awkward pleasantries and go our separate ways...

I call my mom in attempt to jog my memory. She finally figures out who I'm talking about and offers up a last name. Then it clicks... I had drama with her... my freshmen year of high school. I know I haven't seen her in 7 years because since graduation I haven't really been back there. To be quiet honest though I'm not sure I really saw her much or had any interaction with her after Freshmen year.

It's weird that people can remember me and recognize me after all these years but I have no idea who they are. So I guess the moral of the story is if you ever see in the mall and I just blankly stare at you... take no offense... I do it to everyone.

2 comments:

LD said...

OMG - the same thing happened to me freshman year in college. I'm new to it and getting real loose with the driving and finally get to the point where I have to go to traffic school (mind you - those early incidents made me the impeccable driver I am today!).

So after we come back from break, I come in like 1 minute late and the instructor asks me to confirm my name and I do. And this girl sitting in the row in front of me goes "Hey - do you remember me - from 6th grade."

Mind you 6th grade I'd just come over from the Bahamas and fought for them not to put me in 5th grade. So in my second school and a week later, I'm in 6th grade and I get seated to this girl Denise who hates me. And makes no bones about saying so. I don't know if it was because I was the only black kid in the class or because I was just socially backwards or what.

Anyways so I feign ignorance and after the thing we talk some more and I'm like "wow - it was such a long time ago" and "man, well take care" and all. Should I still hold grudges from 6th grade?

Fictionista said...

I'm sooo bad with names...

When that kinda thing happens to me, I usually mention how much they've changed... lol

Or I use a lot of "hey girl!"

"How you doin', cutie?"

"Long time no see! How's the fam?"

lol and then I wait patiently for context clues.