Tuesday, October 2, 2007

National Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month

I had intended to post this yesterday but better late then never! So without further ado...

October is National Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month.

I'm passionate about animal rescue. I'm passionate to the point that I probably annoy those around me. Until the day comes that there are regulations surrounding "breeders" and our pet population is under control this will be my passion. Think you can only get a pure bred dog from a breeder? Think again!

"The City of Tulsa Animal Shelter...of the dogs impounded on June 1, 2007, the following identifiable breeds were available for adoption:
-2 Akitas -1 Alaskan Malamute -1 Australian Shepherd -3 Bassett Hounds
-2 Beagles -2 Blue Heelers -1 Border Collie -1 Boxer -1 Bull Mastiff
-1 Chihuahua -1 Chow -2 Doberman Pinschers -5 German Shepherds
-1 Golden Retriever -3 Jack Russell Terriers -12 Labrador Retrievers
-1 Shih Tzu -1 Westie"

So in honor of National Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month I give you links to sites about all things dogs.
If you have any other great links please let me know!

I hope next time that you want a new family member you avoid those AKC toting breeders on the side of the road and go to a rescue group.

2 comments:

Turner said...

As soon as I have my own place (like, a house), I'm getting a dog to keep me company becuase (1) I love dogs and (2) we all know that I'll own a house long before I ever get a wife

Suz said...

We have had either strays or shelter animals all our lives. We lost our last one which was from the shelter and I couldn't bring myself to get another. The last one we got they took to nursing homes and had been there so long they were going to put her down. I had to bring her home. Best dog we ever had. I have taken a dog to a couple of women who run a small organization in Pryor called Halo. They are wonderful. You have to pay for food and shots for the dog you take in but they let you know when they find an animal a good home. This one bit my shelter dog so we couldn't keep her. I haven't had the heart to get any more. I miss the last one so much. Now we have four feral stray kittens on the back porch. They won't even let you pet them so they are unadoptable. We can't even catch them to take them in for shots and to get fixed. So we may have a whole yard full. Good thing we live in the country. At least we won't have mice. The momma belonged to a neigbor who let them run loose and didn't take them to a vet. She was pregnant and came to our door after his house burned down. We did manage to get her a home inadvertantly. lol People just drive me nuts. There are no stupid pets, just stupid pet owners. My blomment is done.