Friday, January 18, 2008

How it really went down...

Yesterday was a bad day. Let me set some background for you: The vet clinic I work for is part of an association with three other clinics. Our particular vet clinic is not in the greatest shape financially speaking.

The practice manager approaches me and says she's transferring me to another clinic and I'm "not really needed here anymore". When I express concern over the fact that this clinic is in Bixby (30-45 minute commute) and I'm not sure I can afford it with my current salary she immediately snaps into the "well if you ever need a reference... we'll be leaving on good terms" crap. I was horrified. My back was against the wall. I told her I would think about it and left.

That began the day of frantic text messaging and hushed phone calls with my current co-workers who were equally horrified and didn't want to loose me. I must have cried my eyes out yesterday. I felt like that was all I could do. I know two girls, one particular, really stood up for me and tried to fight them on this decision. We all knew that if I went to this other clinic I would never be allowed back. I went to bed last night feeling like my life was falling apart.

This morning I went in ready for a fight. I cornered both the practice manager and vet into the break room and told them how I felt. I explained that I love the facility I'm at, I always refer to the staff as my dysfunctional family and I would do anything to stay there. I explained how I thought the way situation was approached was completely unfair giving the fact that I have given up a lot to be there for them whenever they need me. I reminded them how I've worked every holiday since I've been there and most weekends and never complained. I asked them why if they all "loved" me so much and thought I was such an amazing asset to the company would they be willing just to throw me away. I think I finally got my point across.

The vet finally stood up for me. I know that he's really putting his neck out on the line for me now but I feel like I deserve it. I'm not going down without a fight. I don't ask for much but I demand to be shown some respect and consideration.

1 comment:

Turner said...

Hell yeah Karen - you handled that AWESOMELY! If that manager/whoever wants to transfer you now, the whole office will hate them and they'll lose all credibility within the organization.

You were right to point out how you'd sacrificed a bunch for that job and how you were jumping through hoops already - and it should be rewarded as such.

Fight the power! Damn the man! We got your back!