Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'd be a great rich man's wife...

or

Why Karen dislikes working.

Day 1: Nobody knows what to do with me. I follow tech girl S around all day looking like a lost puppy. When left alone with no instructions I try to look busy and important even though everyone knows better. By the end of the day my feet hurt and I feel like quitting.

Day 2: Tech girl S is off work so for the first 10-15 minutes I just stand around hoping someone will notice I'm alive and put me to work. Finally tech girl JG is asked to take me under her wing. Apparently she's the girl I will ultimately be replacing. Eventually tech girl JG has to go work up front so I start following around tech girl J. Lost puppy sensation overwhelming. End of day 2 and my feet hurt worse then before and I'm really annoyed. Urge to quit nearly overwhelming.

Day 3: Better. Sorta. Tech girl J I guess finally figures out she's going to have to train me herself. Apparently they all forgot I worked in a vet clinic previously and for a long time I'm treated like I don't know how to do anything. Eventually tech girl J realizes that I am capable and starts having me do more. Still feel annoyed that I don't know what to do with myself when nobody is around. Urge to quit subsides, a little.

Day 4: I get to do stuff. They realize that I am smart and capable if they would just tell me what to do. Everyone keeps saying that I'm "catching on sooo fast", I think to myself "It's not f-ing rocket science". Feel a little less useless but panic because I wonder if maybe I'm not so smart after all. Leave feeling undecided about future there but happy I made it through my first week without any injuries.

So there you have it. I work in a cats-only vet hosptial now. The people are a little too obsessed with cats for my taste. (aka I feel like an outsider when I try to share a "my dog" story) But I suppose they are nice. I don't like my schedule. I don't really like the drive. And I most definitely don't like all the cat hair in my eyes. But it's a job. It's money that I can stash away in savings. I just have absolutely no plans to stay there indefinitely.

No comments: